Diagnostic Services Rate Schedule (updated 12-5-2014)
The Florida Extension Plant Disease Clinic (FEPDC) is a fee-based facility provided by the University of Florida-IFAS, Plant Pathology Department. Fees collected by FEPDC are used to pay for diagnostic supplies and equipment as well as funding for lab assistants and graduate assistantships at the clinic. Diagnosis of certain high risk diseases that are of regulatory concern are not on a charge basis as long as the clinic can procure outside funding for these services (call to confirm funding availability).
Standard base charge, in-state: $40.00 – includes sample dissection and observation, moist chamber, basic dissecting and light microscopy, culturing on semi-selective media, 1 immunostrip if needed, diagnostic report, and management recommendations.
Standard base charge, out-of-state: $45.00 – includes sample dissection and observation, moist chamber, basic dissecting and light microscopy, culturing on semi-selective media, 1 immunostrip if needed, and diagnostic report. We cannot make chemical management recommendations for samples from outside the state of Florida.
Standard base charge, Rapid Turfgrass Diagnostic Service: $75.00 for US, $300.00 for non-US – includes sample dissection and observation, moist chamber, basic dissecting and light microscopy, culturing on semi-selective media, diagnostic report and management recommendations. This service is now available for international samples (requires prenotification, see below). Call for availability, pricing, and permits/forms: (352) 392-1795.
Standard base charge, international: $125.00 – includes sample dissection and observation, moist chamber, basic dissecting and light microscopy, culturing on semi-selective media, 1 immunostrip or conventional PCR run if needed, and diagnostic report. We cannot make chemical management recommendations for samples from outside the state of Florida. Call the lab at (352) 392-1795 for more information and required permits and forms. This service is offered via prenotification only. Per our permits, samples shipped directly to the lab without prenotification and proper shipping labels must be autoclaved without opening the package.
Specific tests we offer in-house:
- Bacterial identifications are charged at the normal base rate of $40.00 in-state, $45.00 out-of-state, including microscopy, culturing, and one immunostrip if needed. If the client isolates their own bacteria and wishes to have a specific test run (ELISA, Biolog, immunostrip, etc.) we will charge only for the test needed. All tests and charges beyond the base charge will be discussed with the client prior to testing. When further testing with PCR, ELISA, immunostrips, or Biolog tests are available and required, these may be used for bacterial genus or species identification at the additional rate of
- $10.00 for each immunostrip (beyond the one included in the base charge)
- $20 for each isolate run through Biolog
- $35 for any PCR (each test is charged on top of base charge)
- ELISA tests are charged at market rate and only after consultation with the client
- Immunostrips - When ELISA-based immunostrips are available, these may be used for virus diagnosis at the rate of $10 per sample (on top of the base charge, which includes one immunostrip if needed) for a battery of tests as needed and determined after consultation with the client (can include Cymbidium mosaic virus and Odontoglossum ringspot virus, Potato virus Y, Impatiens necrotic spot virus, Squash mosaic virus, Tomato spotted wilt virus, Cucumber mosaic virus, Tobacco mosaic virus, etc.)
- Serology/ELISA – charged at market rate (on top of the base charge if a full diagnostic workup is requested); often the cost is around $20 per sample. The total charge may change depending on the number of samples and the cost of the ELISA kit.
- PCR – Charged at the molecular rate of $35 per sample for conventional PCR and $65 for real-time PCR (qPCR). These tests are generally stand-alone and are offered with the result of detected/not detected. If a full diagnostic workup is desired in addition to PCR, the charge is $75 or $105 (molecular rate + base charge). Please call for a list of protocols; this list is growing rapidly and currently includes Xylella fastidiosa (bacterial leaf scorch), Blueberry Red Ringspot Virus, Clavibacter michigenensis subsp. michigenensis (tomato bacterial canker), phytoplasmas and Fusarium wilt of palms, Ca. Liberibacter asiaticus (citrus greening), Phytophthora ramorum (sudden oak death), Ralstonia solanacearum (southern wilt), Rafaella lauricola (laurel wilt), and others.
UF Plant Diagnostic Center
Building 1291, 2570 Hull Road
Gainesville, FL 32611-0830