Plant Pathology Faculty
Dean W. Gabriel
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, 1981
- M.S., Michigan State University, 1976
- B.A., Michigan State University, 1974
- B.S., University of Wisconsin, 1964
- Curriculum Vitae
Research in my lab is in the areas of genetics, physiology and molecular biology of plant/microbe interactions. We are currently working on the structure, function and expression of cloned pathogen virulence genes, especially those involving citrus canker disease, cotton blight and common bean blight. Citrus canker disease is a quarantined pathogen in the U.S. and must be kept under BL-3 physical containment. We are working on methods to block pathogen signal molecules transferred to the plant nucleus. We have research projects to engineer resistance to bacterial pathogens and insect pests. Other projects involve research on the population structure, epidemiology, taxonomy, and detection of Xanthomonas. Graduate students in my lab have the option of majoring in either Plant Pathology or Plant Molecular and Cell Biology. I teach on the subjects of microbial genetics, population genetics, host/parasite interactions, and resistance gene management in two formal courses: "PLP6502, Genetics of Plant/Microbe Interactions" and "PCB5065, Advanced Genetics."
- El-Yacoubi, B., A. M. Brunings, Q. Yuan, S. Shanker, and D. W. Gabriel. 2007 In planta horizontal transfer of a major pathogenicity effector gene. Appl.Environ.Microbiol. 73:1612-1621.
- Reddy, J. D, S. L. Reddy, D. L. Hopkins, and D. W. Gabriel. 2007. TolC is required for pathogenicity of Xylella fastidiosa in Vitis vinifera grapevines. Molec.Plant-Microbe Interact. 20:403-410.
- Vivien, E., D. Pitorre, S. Cociancich, I. Pieretti, D. W. Gabriel, P. C. Rott, and M. Royer. 2007. Heterologous production of albicidin: a promising approach to overproduce and characterize this potent inhibitor of DNA gyrase. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 51:1549-1552.
- Al-Saadi, A., Reddy, J.D., Duan, Y.P., Brunings, A., Yuan, Q.P. Gabriel, D.W. 2007. All five host range variants of Xanthomonas citri carry one pthA homolog with 17.5 repeats that determines pathogenicity but none determine host range variation. Molec. Plant-Microbe Interact. 20:934-943.
- Duan, Y., Zhou, L., Hall, D., Li, W., Doddapaneni, H., Lin, H., Liu, L., Vahling, C.M., Gabriel, D.W., Vahling, C., Williams, K., Dickerman, A.,Sun, Y, and Gottwald, T., 2009. Complete Genome Sequence of Citrus Huanglongbing Bacterium, ‘Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus’ Obtained Through Metagenomics. Molec. Plant Microbe Interact. 22:1011–1020.
- Norman, D. J., Zapata, M., Gabriel, D. W., Duan, Y. P., Yuen, J. M. F., Mangravita-Novo, A., and Donahoo, R. S. 2009. Genetic Diversity and Host Range Variation of Ralstonia solanacearum Strains Entering North America. Phytopathology 99:1070-1077.
- Rott, P.C., Fleites, L., Marlow, G., Royer, M., and Gabriel, D.W. 2011. Identification of New Candidate Pathogenicity Factors in the Xylem-Invading Pathogen Xanthomonas albilineans by Transposon Mutagenesis. Molec. Plant-Microbe Interact. 24:594-605
- Rott, P., M. Marguerettaz, L. Fleites, S. Cociancich, J. C. Girard, I. Pieretti, D. W. Gabriel, and M. Royer. 2011. Unravelling pathogenicity of Xanthomonas albilineans, the causal agent of sugarcane leaf scald. Int. Sugar J. 113:490-496.
- Zhang, S., Flores-Cruz, Z., Zhou, L., Kang, B. H., Fleites, L., Gooch, M. D., Wulff, N. A., Davis, M. J., Duan, Y., and Gabriel, D.W. 2011. Ca. Liberibacter asiaticus carries an excision plasmid prophage and a chromosomally integrated prophage that becomes lytic in plant infections. Molec. Plant-Microbe Interactions 24:458-468
- Zhang, S., Z. Flores-Cruz, D. Kumar, P. Chakrabarty, D. L. Hopkins, and D. W. Gabriel. 2011. The Xylella fastidiosa Biocontrol Strain EB92-1 Genome Is Very Similar and Syntenic to Pierce's Disease Strains. Journal of Bacteriology 193:5576-5577.