Plant Pathology Faculty
Carrie Lapaire Harmon
- Ph.D. in Plant Pathology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 2009-2013
- M.S. in Plant Pathology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 2000-2002
- B.S. in Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 1995-1998
- Curriculum Vitae
RESEARCH AND EXTENSION AREAS
High-impact and Emerging Plant Pathogens – detection, diagnosis, and education.
Carrie Lapaire Harmon studied molecular diagnostic methods at the University of Florida, receiving her Ph.D. in 2013, and corn diseases at Purdue University, where she received her MS in Plant Pathology in 2002. She joined the faculty of the UF Department of Plant Pathology in 2003, with responsibilities in extension focused on plant disease detection and diagnosis.
RESEARCH AND EXTENSION PROGRAMS
Carrie Harmon’s research and extension programs center around needs identified by interactions with extension faculty and commodity-specific clientele groups through the UF Plant Diagnostic Center, extension activities and the National Plant Diagnostic Network (NPDN). Dr. Harmon is the Director of the UF Plant Diagnostic Center, which is the hub laboratory of the SPDN. The NPDN is a USDA-NIFA cooperative project. For more information about the NPDN, SPDN, disease diagnostic training, and First Detector training, please link to the NPDN website at http://www.npdn.org
EMPLOYMENT AND ASSISTANTSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Please contact Dr. Harmon via e-mail with questions regarding current research and employment opportunities.
- Dreaden, T. J., Davis, J.M., Smith, J. A., Harmon, C. L., Ploetz, R. C., Palmateer, A, J., and Soltis, P.S. 2013. Development multilocus PCR assays for Raffaelea lauricola, causal agent of laurel wilt disease. Plant Dis. Plant Disease First Look September 2013.
- Bibbs, C.S., Vitoreli, A.M., Benny, G., Harmon, C.L., and Baldwin, R.W. 2013. Susceptibility of Latrodectus geometricus (Araneae: Theridea) to a Mucor strain discovered in North Central Florida, USA. Florida Entomologist. 96:3.
- Everts, K.L., Osborne, L., Gevens, A.J., Vasquez, S.J., Gugino, B.K., Ivors, K., and Harmon, C. 2012. Extension plant pathology: Strengthening resources to continue to serve the public interest. Phytopathology 102:652-655.
- Toro, E., Hochmuth, R.C., Belibasis, E., and Harmon, C.L. 2012. Reducing Fusarium spp. inoculum in irrigation systems: A sanitation case study in greenhouse-grown tomatoes. Paper V-24 In Proceedings of the Fla. State Hort. Soc. 2012.
- Palmateer, A., Hodges, A. C., Harmon, C. L., Harmon, P. F., Mannion, C., Zhang, S., Elliott, M. L., Peres, N. A., Vallad, G. E., Buss, L., Paret, M. L., and Smith, J. A. 2011. Achievements of the Florida Plant Diagnostic Network 2009-2011. 2011 National Plant Diagnostic Network National Meeting. Berkeley, CA. Www.npdn.org.
- Raudales, R. E., Fisher, P. R., Harmon, C. L., and MacKay, B. R. 2011. Review of Efficacy Tests for Chlorination on Irrigation Systems. In Proc. FSHS 2011 Annual Meeting.
- Merritt, Joyce L., Harmon, Carrie L., Harmon, Philip F., Schubert, Tim, and vanBruggen, Ariena. 2011. Survey of Diseases of Ornamental Plants Processed at Statewide Diagnostic Clinics in Florida. Emerging Pathogens Institute Research Day. Gainesville FL.
- Luke, E., Coggeshall, A., Dabade, S., Dizon, J., Dobesh, S., Duynslager, L., Harmon, C. L., Hill, M., LaForest, J., Mitra, C., Scott, K., Snover-Clift, K., and Thomas, C. 2011. NPDN Web Site Portals. 2011 National Plant Diagnostic Network National Meeting. Berkeley, CA. Www.npdn.org.
- Dreaden, T., Harmon, Carrie L., and Smith, Jason A. 2011. Toward a multi-locus molecular detection method for Raffaelea lauricola, causal agent of laurel wilt. 2011 National Plant Diagnostic Network National Meeting. Berkeley, CA. Www.npdn.org.
- Dias, A.P.S. and Li, X. Harmon, P.F. and Harmon, C.L. and Yang, X.B.. 2011. Effects of shade intensity and duration on Asian soybean rust caused by Phakopsora pachyrhizi. Plant Disease. 95:485-489. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-11-09-0753.
- Vitoreli, Anne; Baker, Carleye; Harmon Carrie Lapaire; 2011. Alternanthera Mosaic Virus identified in clock vine in Florida. Phytopathology. 101:S183. http://www.apsnet.org/meetings/Documents/2011_Meeting_Abstracts/a11ma1076.htm
- Dias, APS; Li, X; Harmon, PF; Harmon, CL; and Yang, XB. 2010. Effects of Shade Intensity and Duration on Asian Soybean Rust. Plant Disease “First Look”. doi: 10.1094/PDIS-11-09-0753.
- Jordan, S. A., Mailhot, D. J., Gevens, A. J., Marois, J. J., Wright, D. L., Harmon, C. L., and Harmon, P. F. 2010. Characterization of kudzu (Pueraria spp.) resistance to Phakopsora pachyrhizi, the causal agent of soybean rust. Phytopathology 100:941-948.
- Momol, T.M., Roberts, P., McGovern, R, Marois, J., and Harmon, C.L. New, Emerging, and Threatening Plant Diseases and Crop Biosecurity. Revised 2010. EDIS document PP195. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp112.
- Jiannong Xin, Carrie L. Harmon, Pete Vergot III, Huafeng Jin. 2009. Tracking Pests and Plant Diseases through Space and Time Using Geo-tagged Digital Images. Proc. of 7th World Congress of Computer in Agriculture and Natural Resources. Ed. Zazueta and Xin, Reno, NV. ASABE, St. Joseph, MI, USA. pp 149-154.
- •Miller, SA; Beed, FD; Harmon, CL. 2009. Plant Disease Diagnostic Capabilities and Networks. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 47: 15-38.
- Harmon, CL; Harmon, PF; Vitoreli, AM. 2009. Building diagnostic capacity in Central America: A cooperative effort with the Southern Plant Diagnostic Network, USDA-FAS, and Ministries of Agriculture. Phytopathology. 99 (6): S51-S51, Suppl. S.
- Vitoreli, AM; Harmon, CL; Harmon, PF. 2009. Development of a real-time PCR diagnostic protocol for Fusarium wilt of palm. Phytopathology. 99 (6): S135-S136, Suppl. S.