Plant Pathology Faculty
Jeffrey B. Jones
- Ph.D., Virginia Tech., 1980
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg M.S. Plant Pathology, 9/73-5/74; Ph.D. Plant Pathology, 3/76-3/80
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst B.S. Botany, 9/69-5/73
- Interim Chair, Univ. of Florida, Plant Pathology Department, Fifield Hall, Gainesville, FL 32611 (1/09 – 8/10)
- Professor, Univ. of Florida, Plant Pathology Department, Fifield Hall, Gainesville, FL 32611 (6/98 – present)
My research centers on studying bacterial plant pathogens. Much of my research focuses on the ecology and host-parasite interaction of bacterial plant pathogens. I am interested in plant pathogen variation as measured by phenotypic and genotypic analyses. Techniques used in my laboratory for studying variation include fatty acid analysis, serology, pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, DNA homology and sequence analysis of 16S rRNA. Much of my work has focused on bacterial spot disease of pepper and tomato caused by Xanthomonas campestris pv. vesicatoria. I am interested in resistant mechanisms in bacterial-plant interactions. My present approach is to use genetic recombination techniques to isolate avirulence genes involved in the interaction. I am also studying microbe interactions on plant surfaces and in plant tissue in an attempt to determine mechanisms that affect microbe fitness. I also teach the Bacterial Plant Pathogens course.
- Jones, CD; Jones, JB; Lee, WS. 2010. Diagnosis of bacterial spot of tomato using spectral signatures. COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS IN AGRICULTURE 74 (2): 329-335.
- Hutton, SF; Scott, JW; Jones, JB. 2010. Inheritance of Resistance to Bacterial Spot Race T4 from Three Tomato Breeding Lines with Differing Resistance Backgrounds. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR HORTICULTURAL SCIENCE 135 (2): 150-158..
- Balogh, B; Jones, JB; Iriarte, FB; Momol, MT. 2010. Phage Therapy for Plant Disease Control. CURRENT PHARMACEUTICAL BIOTECHNOLOGY 11 (1): 48-57..
- White, FF; Potnis, N; Jones, JB; Koebnik, R. 2009. The type III effectors of Xanthomonas. MOLECULAR PLANT PATHOLOGY 10 (6): 749-766..
- Stall, RE; Jones, JB; Minsavage, GV. 2009. Durability of Resistance in Tomato and Pepper to Xanthomonads Causing Bacterial Spot. ANNUAL REVIEW OF PHYTOPATHOLOGY 47: 265-284..
- Jones, JB. 2009. Biopesticides for Control of Bacterial Plant Diseases. HORTSCIENCE 44 (4): 990-990..
- Zhang, YX; Callaway, EM; Jones, JB; Wilson, M. 2009. Visualisation of hrp gene expression in Xanthomonas euvesicatoria in the tomato phyllosphere. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PLANT PATHOLOGY 124 (3): 379-390..
- Balcarczyk, KL; Jones, JB; Jaffe, R; Maie, N. 2009. Stream dissolved organic matter bioavailability and composition in watersheds underlain with discontinuous permafrost. BIOGEOCHEMISTRY 94 (3): 255-270..
- Behlau, F; Graham, JH; Jones, JB. 2009. Monitoring resistant populations of Xanthomonas citri subsp citri and epiphytic bacteria on young citrus trees treated with copper or streptomycin. PHYTOPATHOLOGY 99 (6): S10-S10, Suppl. S..
- Champoiseau, PG; Jones, JB; Sefah, K; Tan, W. 2009. Selection of molecular aptamers for identification of live cells of Ralstonia solanacearum: A new method in plant pathology. PHYTOPATHOLOGY 99 (6): S20-S20, Suppl. S..