Plant Pathology Faculty
Gul Shad Ali
- Cornell University, Ithaca, NY-Ph.D., 1998
- Agricultural University, Peshawar, Pakistan-M.S., 1991
- Agricultural University, Peshawar, Pakistan-B.S., 1989
Research and Extension
The humid and relatively warm weather of Florida is very favorable for the development of plant diseases in ornamental, vegetable and fruit crops. In addition, increased international trade in plant commodities have led to the spread of pathogens in new niches including in Florida. In order to avoid the spread and establishment of pathogens, our primary mission is to conduct research on the early detection and molecular diagnosis of multiple plant pathogens. We also conduct research on controlling diseases of ornamental and other crops using integrated disease management approaches encompassing genetic resistance (primarily through biotechnology), biological and cultural controls and where necessary chemical control. Our second mission is to timely disseminate scientifically sound information to clientele so that they can make informed decisions to minimize losses caused by plant diseases. In addition, we also conduct basic research in plant-microbe interaction using high throughput molecular, genetic and cell biological approaches. For details on specific projects, see our lab webpage.
- Merritt, J. L., Dickstein, E., Johnson, R. S., Ward, M., Balaam, R. J., Harmon, C. L., Harmon, P. F., Ali, G. S., Palmateer, A. J., Schubert, T., Bruggen, A. H. C. v., and van Bruggen, A. H. C. 2012. Survey of ornamental nurseries in Florida participating in the U S -Canadian Greenhouse Certification Program. HortTechnology 22:169-17
- Reddy, A. S., Ali, G. S., Celesnik, H., and Day, I. S. 2011. Coping with stresses: roles of calcium- and calcium/calmodulin-regulated gene expression. Plant Cell 23:2010-32
- Yang, T. Ali, G.S. et al. 2010. Calcium/calmodulin-regulated receptor-like kinase CRLK1 interacts with MEKK1 in plants. Plant Signal Behav 5, doi:12225 [pii]10.1074/jbc.M109.035659 (2010).
- Liqun Du, Ali G.S., Kayla A. Simons, Jingguo Hou, Tianbao Yang, A.S.N. Reddy and B. W. Poovaiah. (2009) Ca2+/calmodulin Regulates Salicylic Acid-mediated Plant Immunity. Nature 26;457(7233):1154-8. Epub 2009 Jan 4.
- Ali, G.S. and A.S.N. Reddy. (2008a) PAMP-Triggered Immunity: Early Events in the Activation of FLAGELLIN SENSITIVE2. Plant Signal Behav 3 (6): 423-426.
- Ali, G.S., K.V.S.K. Prasad, Irene Day and A.S.N. Reddy. (2007a). Ligand-Dependent Reduction in the Membrane Mobility of FLAGELLIN SENSITIVE2, an Arabidopsis Receptor-Like Kinase. Plant Cell Physiol. 48:1601-11.
- Ali, G.S., Reddy, V.S., Lindgren, P.B., Jakobek, J.L. and A.S.N. Reddy (2003a) Differential expression of genes encoding calmodulin-binding proteins in response to bacterial pathogens and inducers of defense responses. Plant Mol Biol 51:803-815.
- Ali, G. S., G.E. Harman, and B. I. Reisch. (2003b) The Interaction of Trichoderma-Endochitinase, a Synthetic Peptide ESF12 and Resveratrol in Controlling Fungal Growth in vitro. Eur J Plant Pathol 109:639-644.
- Reddy V.S., Ali G.S. and Reddy A.S. N. (2003c) Characterization of a pathogen-induced calmodulin-binding protein: mapping of four Ca2+-dependent calmodulin-binding domains. Plant Mol Biol 52:143-159.
- Reddy V.S.*, Ali G.S.* (Co-first author) and Reddy A.S. (2002a) Genes encoding calmodulin-binding proteins in the Arabidopsis genome. J Biol Chem 277: 9840-9852.
- Irene S. Day, V. S. Reddy, Ali, G.S. and A.S.N. Reddy (2002b) Analysis of EF-hand-containing proteins in Arabidopsis. Genome Biol 3 (10):1-24.
- Ali, G.S. and A.S.N. Reddy. (2000) Inhibition of fungal and bacterial plant pathogens by synthetic peptides: In vitro growth inhibition, interaction between peptides and inhibition of disease progression. Mol Plant-Microbe Interac 13:874-879.
- Kikkert, J.R. G.S. Ali, M.J. Striem, M.-H. Martens, P.G. Wallace, L. Molino, and B.I. Reisch. (1997) Genetic Engineering of Grapevine (Vitis sp.) for Enhancement of Disease Resistance. Acta Horticulturae 447:273-279.