UF/IFAS Plant Diagnostic Center
Lab operations during COVID-19:
The UF Plant Diagnostic Center and Rapid Turfgrass Diagnostic Service are open for receipt of shipped samples but are working with reduced personnel and limited tests, subject to state and university mandated closures.
Please call the lab at 352-392-1795 prior to shipping to verify we are open and able to provide desired testing or other sample questions. Please hold on shipments until you receive confirmation from lab staff. Thank you for using our services, and we wish everyone good health. Link to COVID-19 updates and resources here: http://www.ufl.edu/health-updates/
The UF/IFAS Plant Diagnostic Center is located in Gainesville, FL on the University of Florida's main campus. Our mission is to provide plant diagnostic knowledge and services to solve plant health problems. We accept plant samples from anywhere— you can learn more about pricing and how to submit a sample below, and tour our lab virtually here. Our lab is part of and accredited by the National Plant Diagnostic Network.
Sample Submission Forms and Information
To better help growers, we accept sample submissions. Learn about pricing and how to submit a sample below.
Sample Collection Instructions
International Sample Submission
- The PDC-GNV accepts and diagnoses samples from outside of the United States. The diagnostic fee is $200 for international general samples and $300 for international turf samples. Those interested in our international service must first email Dr. Carrie Harmon, email@example.com, to obtain forms, permits, and pertinent collection information.
Hours of Operation
8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday; Closed weekends and UF holidays*
**Our after-hours sample drop-off cooler is always ready for your samples, even when the lab is closed. In-person delivery works best, or you can indicate to a courier that they should leave the package in the cooler. Make sure the package does not require a signature. We do not recommend that you use the US Postal Service; they will not deliver after-hours, on weekends or during UF holidays.
As a University of Florida laboratory, we follow UF’s closure schedule. We also close for the last two weeks of December to close out samples, bookkeeping, and projects.
2020 Holidays (Lab Closure)
- New Year’s Day – Wednesday, January 1
- Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday – Monday, January 20
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 25
- Labor Day – Monday, September 7
- UF Homecoming – Friday, October 2
- Veterans Day – Wednesday, November 11
- Thanksgiving – Thursday, November 26 & Friday, November 27
- Winter break – Saturday, December 19 through Saturday, January 3, 2021
Diagnostic Center Personnel
- Carrie Lapaire Harmon, Ph.D.
Director, Plant Diagnostic Center; and Associate Director, Southern Plant Diagnostic Network and Executive Director, National Plant Diagnostic Network
- Philip F. Harmon, Ph.D.
Professor and Director, Rapid Turfgrass Diagnostic Service
- Sladana Bec, Ph.D.
Laboratory Manager and Senior Diagnostician
- Peng Tian, Ph.D.
Diagnostician, General Lab Service
- Max Duncan
Diagnostician, Rapid Turfgrass Diagnostic Service
- Donna Perry
- Megan Brown, PhD.
- Chris Curry, Philip Daly, Lexi Dong, Jimmy Herd-Bond, Eaden Murphy, Bailey Peters, Tommy Roth, Eddie Shuker, Dennis Tsui, Jeffrey Walsh, Xuechun “May” Wang
Laboratory and Extension Assistants